Thursday 14 April 2011

Rough Draft...

So...my first post...and I'm terrified! It seems silly, I know, but I can't help it.

Some people write for themselves. They may never have any intention of getting their writing published, performed or even seen by another pair of eyes. In a way I am envious of these writers because where I intend to stay true to myself I also want others to experience my writing.

The idea of getting my play performed, novel published or screenplay produced gives me tingles of excitement...which soon turn into gut-wrenching feelings of anxiety that nothing I can produce can be good enough to a theatregoer, novel reader or Hollywood executive...well, maybe not the latter. The thought of being a writer scares the life out of me...which is exactly why I'm writing this blog.

I'm writing it in order to help me. It's a diary, essentially, of how my writing is going to ensure that I don't do what I always do and stop and start far too frequently than I should on my writing projects which completely breaks any momentum I've built up and ensures I continually feel like I'm picking up a pen for the first time when I start a new project, no matter what size it is (the project, not the pen). If I'm putting pressure on myself to regularly write a blog then it means I am writing regularly and that can only be a good thing...lets see how that goes.

For those who want to join me on my 'journey', a word now completely destroyed by the X Factor however I'm going to attempt to claim it back, I will be detailing my experiences plus the odd post sharing hints and tips I come across as well as writing competitions or resources that I feel may interest others.

My first play, The Chicken Shed Re-united, is going to be performed to a paying audience in July by the Kelvin Players of Bristol. In the run up to the first performance I will be reminiscing on the process of my writing the play from inception to stage as well as regularly updating my undoubted upcoming feelings of crippling fear and anxiety. I'd love for you to join me.

Well, that wasn't too bad. Anyway, I won't bore you any longer. I'm not pretending I know what I'm doing or that my words of wisdom along the way will be any wiser than your own. However I've found that learning how other writers go about developing their craft and increasing self confidence in their ability is incredibly reassuring...so please do check in every now again, even if it's to see how not to do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment